Monday, January 31, 2011

The Orpheum...

I have a new favorite place. The Orpheum theater in the town north of us. It was originally opened in 1914. In 1948 it relocated up the road and was rebuilt. The second theater was the first post World War II theater built by the Radio Keith Orpheum (RKO) Company, one of the movie studio giants of Hollywood’s Golden Age. When it re-opened, they had a red carpet, search lights and a local radio station broadcasting live from their radio truck. It was the most "modern cooling plant in Marshalltown". In other words... it had air conditioning.
Fast forward to today. After being closed for some time, the Orpheum was restored to its former glory. Members of the community donated money to fund the project. The workers are all volunteers. Its just like it was back then with a ticket booth outside, workers in uniforms, ushers to greet you and seat you and boxes of candy for $1.00. ONE DOLLAR! You can't even get candy that cheap at a gas station! Popcorn, drinks, and any box of candy is a buck. Admission is only $3.00. Its possible because the workers are volunteers from the community. The community is helping the community. Its awesome. The best part is they only show older movies. 'Breakfast at Tiffany's' was just playing this weekend. 'Wizard of Oz', 'Gone With the Wind', etc... were last month. We just saw 'Raiders of the Lost Arc' last weekend. It was so fun to see that on the screen again. Admission, snacks and drinks for both of us were cheaper that night than admission alone to a normal movie. Not only is it cheap, but it brings back so many memories that you don't get at a normal theater. I think we will be seeing a lot more of that place!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds awesome. What a great, cheap date. Two questions. How do you get on the list to volunteer and how can I get one of those here? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of the volunteers are old timers who grew up attending that theater. They had lots of stories to tell. Others are young kids from the community college in the same town. I think they may get school credit or something.

    Good luck getting one there... I guess you'll just have to move here :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha ha. I might be tempted if I never had to deal with those Iowan winters. It sounds magical during the warmer months though. Let me ask Dave and see what he says. Uh. He says NO!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rude. Well you can tell Dave he's a party pooper *sticks out tongue* :)

    ReplyDelete