So the big craze today is the mega millions lottery. It's now $640 MILLION. That's freaking insane. Going to the gas station to get gas is literally a nightmare with all the people buying tickets. As I stood in line to pay for my gas and my one soda I'm allowed a week I was astonished at the amount of money people were dropping on these tickets. One guy spent $40 on multiple different lottery tickets. 40 bucks... are you kidding me? 40 bucks pays our water bill for a whole month (which is a rip off by the way... we only use half of what they charge us for). If I had 40 bucks to burn I doubt I'd need to win the lottery. Ha.
So we bought one ticket just for kicks and giggles. We started talking about what we'd do.... just like millions of other people are. Most people will go buy big, fancy houses and fancy cars, etc... Not me. What would we do???
This is what we'd do first:
1- We'd donate all our stuff to Goodwill, get in the car and drive home. We'd enjoy time with family... finally after 10 long years.
2- We'd send money to 3 friends in particular who are struggling with huge medical bills due to cancer.
3- We'd get my niece out of a sticky situation which requires money to do so, and pay off her school loans.
4- We'd get my sisters house fixed, because she can't afford to do it and buy her a better car (nothing fancy). We'd also give her the freedom to get a job she 'wants' rather than one she 'needs'. We'd take her to the US Open... something she's dreamed of forever.
5- We'd pay my parents back every dime they've ever helped me with and help other family and 'close' friends.
6- We'd pay off the damn school loan that is now plaguing our lives.
7- We'd fund a research project for a medical condition that needs research badly because most doctors know nothing about it. Millions are needed to fund it. It would help me, and thousands of other people who have it finally learn how to fix/help it. (I might write about the condition someday)
Then, when things settle down a bit:
1- We'd still work. We'd do what we once did, and dream of doing again. We'd go back to Iowa. We would start a business with our good friend and her husband, who shared a common dream but lacks the money to do so. We would be partners, but in the end we would most likely give it to them because they deserve it.
2- We would buy land, most likely in the Pacific Northwest. We'd build a simple 2-3 bedroom cottage. I'd have a pond so I could have frogs. Life just sucks without frogs singing at night. I'd have a goat, and some chickens.
3- I'd love to adopt some wild horses and still let them be wild.
4- Maybe buy a truck (since Shaun has always wanted one)... I'm content with my beaters.
5- Take a trip to Switzerland to the land of my ancestors. I've always wanted to see Switzerland. Shaun wants to go to Wimbledon. I'd tag along. Hah.
6- I'd love to adopt or foster a sibling group. We would do that now, but financially just can't cut it.
I wouldn't splurge on much other than one thing.... flowers. That is why I need land. But my gardens wouldn't be just for me. I want them to have a purpose. They would be magnificent. They would be open to the public with hopes they would donate... to a worthy cause. I would get locals involved who need help and allow them to work the gardens. Whether they need help financially (pay them to weed) or help just getting away from the world, gardening can be so therapeutic. It has been for me in the past. I miss my gardens.
After planning what we'd need to fund our lives into retirement I'd give away the rest. I have a long list of organizations I'd love to help out. I always thought it would be so much fun to have the ability to change people's lives... deserving people. Often times you watch the news, or hear of someone in need in the community. It would be great to just be able to send them a check, anonymously, because investing in people is important.
So, we hold onto our one ticket and dream, just like everyone else. Someones dreams will come true, and everyone else will wake up.
Friday, March 30, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment