I cannot believe it's been 3 months since I updated this. My word. I cannot believe all that has happened in those 3 months. All I've been doing is running my dad to doctor after doctor. My dad never seemed to recover from his pneumonia the last time (in January) yet his x-rays showed it was gone. His family doctor (who he's gone to for 30 years) said he showed lung damage and had COPD. Huh. For some reason I had a feeling to bypass that doctor and found him a pulmonologist who said nobody can diagnose that by an x-ray and since my dad has never smoked in his life, the new doctor thought that COPD was a long shot. I have been saying for weeks that I thought my dad's oxygen levels were low and so he ran some tests in the hospital. I was right. His oxygen is only 86% in the day and 72% at night. That is probably why he's been struggling with memory issues the last couple months. He cannot sleep laying down or he can't breathe because though his pneumonia is gone, he still has fluid in his lungs. Doctors can't seem to find out why. So then they questioned his heart because he also has swelling in his legs. So I took him for an Echocardiogram and an EKG. Both showed good function, but his beat is very irregular. So we got him on oxygen at night and are trying different medications to see if it helps with his lungs. My feeling of bypassing his normal doctor made sense when we found out his family doctor died a couple weeks ago.
Problem with my dad is he has always been healthy as a horse his whole life (except for allergies). So over the last few months he's not been a happy camper. Grumpy, grouchy, ornery. I think I've heard the words, "I'd rather just die and get it over with" a hundred times. I remind him that things could always be worse. But he also struggles with OCD (which I inherited from him... thanks) and when things are not running smoothly, it freaks him out a bit. On top of the health issues, we've been helping him with his trust because laws have changed and he hasn't updated it for 18 years. Luckily my brother was home from Japan for a month to help with that because it was too overwhelming for my dad and I was clueless. Ha! I've spent more time with my brother the last two weeks than I have since I was about 5. He leaves for Japan in the morning, but will return for good in 5 weeks. It will be the first time since we were all kids that we will be living in the same place again. Long overdue, and I don't think it was coincidence that he and I both ended up moving back here within a year of each other after both living away for over 10 years. As soon as I got home things changed with my parents very quickly. If I were still living out of state, I would have had to move home alone to help out. I know there was a higher power involved in how things worked out.
I feel like if I can survive this week I will make it. Ha! On top of doctor on Monday, doctor on Tuesday, Lawyer on Wednesday, I also have a wedding here in our yard this Saturday and two other landscape jobs and a sewing job this week. Eeeeek!!! I need sleep.
Still haven't switched this to private yet.... so I haven't sent out the invites yet (so don't think I forgot about you). Still debating. I'll see if the reason I wanted to do it happens again..............
Thursday, May 23, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment