I was born with an extra sense I guess you could say. Many call this E.S.P, others say it's a "gut feeling", etc... Whatever it is, I remember always being right each time since childhood. I can "read" people. Some are easier than others. For some reason I can sense when certain people are near me even if I don't really know that person. For example, there is a kid we work with that I know very little. He dated one of my friends but they broke up and he went a little psycho on her. Anyhow, 5 times now I have "sensed" his presence before actually seeing him. One of those senses kept me from having a head on collision with him on our road. I just knew he was coming over the hill...
Anyhow, sometimes I like having this extra sense thing and other times I HATE it. In my previous entry I wrote about my aunt Margaret and how she just passed away. My cousin told my mom that they thought the funeral would be Monday or Tuesday and that they would call her as soon as they knew so she could tell my sister and niece who were also going to attend. On Tuesday I had the most awful feeling I've had in a long time and plain as day the words popped in my head, "They've missed the funeral".
Once again, I was right. My cousin never called my mom and she missed her sisters funeral. How horrid is that? I felt sick all week and there was good reason for it. I kept waiting for the phone call from my mom telling me about the funeral but it never came. I already knew why. My mom felt so horrible. I felt horrible for her. I felt horrible for my cousin too. She was so upset when she realized what she forgot to do. She's been under so much stress with this all... her sister died months ago, and she was at the hospital 24/7 for a week with her mom before she died. She had to take care of everything herself and was simply at wits end. My mom doesn't blame her but she feels guilty for not being there.
So I talked to my mom on the phone for a while tonight. She started telling me stories of her and her sister. We laughed, I cried. One story was about when my mom was 11 and her sister married at 18 and her husband was in the service during WWII. I didn't know this but I guess the gum company 'Wrigley' sent all their Spearmint, Doublemint and Juicy Fruit gum to the troops to show support. My mom said you couldn't buy it at all in the stores. It was her favorite gum. She remembered her new brother in law coming home from the war and giving her a piece of doublemint gum. She said she chewed it for hours and then would stick it on her windowsill to use again later. LOL! She said she kept it for days and days trying to savor every last bit. We both cracked up laughing thinking of all the flys, dust, etc... that must have landed on it while on the window sill. EW.
So the phone call started horrible, but ended good. I love hearing stories of my parents childhood.
Saturday, October 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment