Thursday, April 29, 2010

What's my name again?

There is a Hispanic guy at work named Leonardo. He has trouble saying my name. Actually, many have trouble with my name.... the 'R' gives them fits. They pronounce it more like 'Dalene' without the 'R'. Cracks me up.

Anyhow, I was pulling an order the other day that included some peppers. I noticed that most of the names of the peppers were things like "Apache", "Cherokee", Mohawk", etc... Why do they name peppers after Native American tribes? Whatever. So, Leo was laughing at me causing a fuss about the peppers names and he said, "You no longer Darlene... You Mohawk, and I'm Apache".

He now calls me Mohawk. Funny thing is he can't say the 'K' either and replaces it with a 'T'. So, I'm Mohawt. I'm also known as 'Shaunita' (they call Shaun 'Shaunito'), 'Sugar Mama' (one of the the other male growers called Shaun over the radio and said his "sugar mama was looking for him"... the radio which EVERYONE can hear), and 'Sunshine' (which if my boss calls me that one more time I will kick him where the sun DON'T shine!)

Can't I just be Darlene?

1 comment:

  1. How ironic. Last night Dave and I were talking about the names we give to the people who take our orders at Taco Bell, McDonald's, etc. You know, the names they call out when your order is ready? Anyway, Dave was saying that he likes use names that are hard for the workers (usually from Hispanic origins) to pronounce. Names like Leonard and Clarence.

    ReplyDelete