Saturday, August 28, 2010

Definitely back in Iowa...

Today was interesting, and the type of day that makes me realize why I love this place so much. Four things happened that most likely would only happen here.

1) Being on a farm is great especially if you love to blast your music and sing at the top of your lungs. Who's going to complain... the cows? My neighbor's sister is here visiting him before he leaves for Afghanistan and they were out in the garage working on some stuff. They had their music up in her brothers truck (which has an awesome stereo system by the way) when a song came on she liked. She blared it and sang as loud as she could. I was out in my garden listening and lucky for me, she can sing. Ha ha. No neighbors to complain about your loud music is a plus.

2) While on my way to the vet to get dog food, I was flying down our dirt road when out of the corner of my eye I thought I saw a dog laying in the grass on the edge of the road. I stopped, backed up and it was a yellow lab. He was panting horribly. Since I take my dogs in the car a lot I always have a bottle of water. I pulled up next to the dog, but he started to run away scared. So, I got out of the car and put the bowl of water on the ground. I made the mistake of leaving my car door ajar. The dog ran towards me, bypassed the water, and jumped in my car. I guess he wanted to drive. Lovely. I hadn't seen this dog before and he had no collar, no tags. I only had 20 minutes to make it to town and I was in no mood to take some random dog along. So, I tried to get him out without any luck. I then spent the next 10 minutes screaming "GET OUT OF MY CAR" to the dog at the top of my lungs. He then got on the floor on the passengers side and refused to budge. Stubborn dog. So, I'd had it... I went around the car and opened the door. I grabbed him under his front legs and dragged him out of the car. Certainly wasn't a lightweight! As soon as he got out he tried to get back in again. I slammed the door just in time. I then realized I'd left the driver's side door open again (you'd think I'd learn) and the dog did too. He ran around the front and me around the back racing to see who got there first. I won. HAH! I ran toward an open door, whereas he had to run around the door. I'm still smarter than a dog! I got in and slammed the door. I then offered him water again out the window and he drank the whole bottle. I wished him luck and drove away. I later learned that this dog may be a newbie in the area. I'll be sure to never open my car door, or house door for that matter whenever he's around!

3) I think the coyote's that have a den on the farm have had pups. We heard them tonight howling up a storm. There seemed to be more than we've heard before. We were talking with our landlord and he thought the same thing. He said, "those buggers... the pack has grown. Better shut the garage up tonight so they don't get the barn cats". Our landlord is so funny... he could care less about himself out on the farm at night, but he loves his barn cats! Call me strange, but I actually LOVE hearing those coyotes howl.

4) My neighbor has been home from Afghanistan all summer. It's been great having him home. He leaves in the morning to head back to training for another year. I was out in the garden when he came out and hopped on his motorcycle. He proceeded to ride around the farm weaving around the silos', in between the barns, etc... He then flashed me a huge grin and took off. Next thing I hear is random "MOOOOO's" coming from the pasture. He was blazing through the cow field as cows ran in all directions. I had to chuckle. That has become his signature thing to do before leaving for Afghanistan. He did it last year too. He just makes sure his grandpa (our landlord) is nowhere to be found. Ha ha. I'm going to miss him and his crazy youth.

Who says farm life is boring? Not I. I am entertained daily by simple things.

No comments:

Post a Comment