I kind of had to chuckle when my friends in Utah spoke of a "blizzard" warning out there last week. Pffftt. Utah doesn't get blizzards... I know, I used to live there. It can indeed get ugly but until you've lived on the plains with NO mountains to block wind/snow you don't know what the word 'blizzard' is.
This was our weather warning sent to us yesterday while we were at work... (pardon the caps... I'm too lazy to re-type it)
LIFE THREATENING BLIZZARD CONDITIONS ACROSS MOST OF IOWA TONIGHT....TRAVEL IS NOT ADVISED OR NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE TONIGHT OVER MUCH OF THE AREA. A STRONG WINTER STORM WILL CONTINUE THROUGH THE OVERNIGHT HOURS. SUSTAINED NORTHWESTERLY WINDS OF 30 TO 40 MPH...WITH GUSTS FROM 50 TO 60 MPH WILL CONTINUE. SIGNIFICANT BLOWING AND DRIFTING...WHITEOUT CONDITIONS...AND DANGEROUS WIND CHILLS OVERNIGHT... STORM TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...SNOWFALL TOTALS OF 5 TO 9INCHES ARE LIKELY BY THIS MORNING. IN ADDITION...DANGEROUS WINDCHILL READINGS OF 20 TO 35 BELOW ZERO CAN BE EXPECTED.
YIPEEEEEE!!!!!!!!! Not. So far, its certainly living up to expectations. Its been blowing snow for over 24 hours and is not letting up. Its currently -7 (without wind) and I'm shocked I still have a roof with the gusts we've had. Most of the roads in Iowa are closed. There is even a tow ban in effect. If you are dumb enough to go out in this and you get stuck... you are royally screwed. Lets just say I am not likely to be going off the farm for days.
Sunday, December 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
How exciting! Sounds fun to be snowed in for a few days and unable to do anything. As long as you have plenty of the necessities, of course (chocolate). I am daydreaming right now about all of the responsibilities I could miss out on if I were snowed in all week *sigh*. Seriously, though, I'm glad to hear you are safe. It is supposed to be 70 degrees here tomorrow...ha! Gotta love Las Vegas winters :)
ReplyDelete70's? *dies* What I wouldn't give for 70 degrees right about now! Yes... as long as I have my chocolate and my power and heat I don't mind being stranded :)
ReplyDelete