So today was my lovely endoscopy. Oh what fun it was. It wasn't necessarily painful, just very uncomfortable. I went in at 7 am to register. It took an hour and a half for them to register me, have me change into the stylish gown and booties, prep my iv, and then I waited, waited, and waited. Waiting is horrible when you are anticipating something you don't want.
The absolute worst part was when they sprayed the back of my throat with the numbing spray to silence my gag reflex (which I have a major one). The spray was NASTY and I had to swallow it then wait, and do it again... 5 times. Then my throat felt strange and it was hard to swallow which I needed to do to get the tube down. Next thing came the happy iv drugs. I remember saying, "wow that's fast" and then went to say "happy pills" but it came out more like "happy piiiiiiiiii......"
I was out. I do remember them telling me that they were pumping air into me so it may make me burp. And burp I did. My brother, king of all burpers, would have been proud. Ha ha! I was coherent enough to know what was going on, but didn't really care. I remember this long drawn out buuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrp coming out and me laughing hysterically. Problem was I was so stoned that instead of a belly laugh like I was doing inside, it came out more like this wussy, weak, drunken "he he he". Then there was the part that felt really uncomfortable which was when they were taking biopsies of my stomach. I remember starting to squirm a little and at that point they must have drugged me more because I don't remember anything after that until I woke up (or tired to) in recovery.
The first thing the doctor said to Shaun was, "man, she giggles a lot". Ha hah!! I didn't receive the nickname "giggles" for nothing. It took me a long time to wake up... I was having trouble. Most people wake up within a half hour and then stay until their throat numbing goes away so that they can drink to make sure their swallow is working. Me on the other hand was still deep sleeping an hour and a half later. My pulse dropped very low and they had to give me more iv solution. Shaun said the nurses were a little freaked out. I warned them that I tend to do that after surgeries. I've been feeling the effects all day.
The doctor said he saw nothing "alarming" but that I do have two patches of gastritis in my stomach which explains my pain. What he doesn't know it what is causing it. So he took biopsies to test me again for H. Pylori and other stuff. I get those results probably next week. I'm just glad its over. Not my idea of a picnic. *burp*
Friday, April 15, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment