Satan called. He wants his weather back.
I swear Iowa can never be "normal" for once. Following the crazy derecho last week, we've been under excessive heat warnings for the last 6 days. I grew up outside Vegas so I know what 'hot' is, but after living in the midwest I'd take that Vegas heat any day over the heat we've been having. Normally it should be upper 80's here. It's been 99° air temperature with dew points in the 80's. That means we may as well be in the amazon rainforest because of the humidity. You add 80-90% humidity onto 99° air temps and you basically cannot breathe. We can barely get out the door in fact.... the doors swell. We've had to leave our garage door up and come and go through that. Hah!
The heat index temperature has been above 108° for the last week. I thought 114° was bad 2 days ago but there was a town to our south that registered 121° today! Holy HELL! The strangest thing about his heat wave is not only the length of it, but also the fact there is no wind. Its strange to not have wind here. So, when you go outside, your clothes stick to you instantly. So do bugs. Ew. I've been pretty well home bound since I have asthma and this combination of heat/humidity is not my friend. I am extremely thankful that we got power restored after that storm because two days later this heat began. I can't imagine not having air through this!
Speaking of the storm... I went up to my friends house last night to see how the clean up was going. She got hit hard. They live on 30 acres of wooded land and had tree's down all over. One went through their roof, another limb went through their metal garage door. Nobody was hurt though. Amazingly, there were no injuries in this storm yet lots of stories. One guy had a 2 x 4 plow through his window, fly right past him and into the wall. Another couple had a tree fall on their house smashing through the roof, and landing right next to the bed where they were sleeping. The craziest was a man that had a tree fall through his roof and land between his legs when he was laying in bed. It pinned him, but didn't injure him. Crazy stuff. But, obviously someone was watching out for the members of this town.
I'm looking forward to tomorrow... they say it may rain. Oh if we could just get some rain to break this heat! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for something "normal".
Thursday, July 21, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I hate to rub salt in the wound, but here in Vegas we've actually had a cooler than normal summer. Our temps have only been in the LOW 100's. Weird. On the 4th of July it rained most of the morning and was only in the 70's! We were actually feeling a little chilly...it was awesome! You mentioned Hell...well I think it's freezing over :)
ReplyDelete70's on the 4th of July? Whoa. Hell must be freezing over! Hah!
ReplyDelete