Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Derecho (part 2)

Today the cleanup continued. The sound of chainsaws and the smell of tree's burning filled the air. The local restaurants are packed with all the utility company workers from out of state. Other than one small town to our north, power is back on for most which is amazing.

I still couldn't get around town very well but I got what pictures I could (if you click on the pictures they are more detailed). This is probably the least damaged road. The others I couldn't even drive down because the roads were blocked by either trees or power lines.
This is Longs farm. The three remaining tall trees are what was left of a grove of at least 30. They took the power lines down with them.
A young couple north of us were starting up a small pig farm. They had 2 hoop houses that were thrashed. The piggies are fine but are going to be missing their shade.
Power poles snapped like twigs. Others completely went down flat.Some of the worst damage, and most widespread was damage to the crops. The corn is flat. Some fields have popped up a bit but others are still down. The only saving grace may be that it was wet when the storm hit, so the corn just leaned rather than broke. Only time will tell if it produces.
The absolute worst damage was to the grain silo's. I couldn't believe the destruction. Millions of dollars in damages.This last picture sums it up. There is a man to the right with a yellow shirt and hardhat on just staring at the mangled metal that once was a grain bin. It's always amazing to see the power mother nature can dish out.

2 comments:

  1. What an incredible storm! Thanks for sharing the pictures...the damage that was done is unbelievable! The power lines and silo's are the hardest for me to comprehend. I am so glad you guys are OK. Life is never boring in Iowa :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, never boring indeed! I love the wild weather, but this was the first time I was a bit nervous.

    ReplyDelete