Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Still adjusting...

I can't believe it's been over 3 months since we've moved back home.  Time has been flying.  I've been so busy I've forgotten to update this thing.  Since being home, my dad had his cancer surgery done and is doing well.  But he's just gotten over his second round of pneumonia in three months, his third this year.  I finally insisted that he demand from his doctor to be on medication for a longer course of treatment and that he get a follow up x-ray when those pills were gone.  Hopefully it will stay away this time. 

On top of my dad's issues, my sister was very sick too.  Finally they determined her gallbladder was a 'dead' organ and was infected.  She had to have emergency surgery to remove it.  So, I helped her out with that as well.  My mom said to me, "I think you definitely were meant to come home".  I agree.  I also did a major overhaul of my sisters yard, ripping out old bushes, a dead tree, and planting a new perennial garden.

I saw my brother briefly for the first time in many, many years as he was passing through on his way back to Japan from a business trip to Texas.  He will be back for Christmas and then move back next June.  It will be so strange to have the entire family living here again, but I'm looking forward to it.

We had our first Thanksgiving home in 11 years.  It was so strange to not have to work.  Shaun even got a 4 day weekend which has never happened in his entire career.  We almost didn't know what to do with ourselves.  Ha!  

There are many things I am enjoying about being back in Utah, but also things I really hate.  I don't feel as good here.  My asthma is terrible with all the pollution and I frequently get headaches that turn into migraines.  I sure do miss that clean Iowa air!  I also miss my Iowa friends and the family we left on the farm.  I think about them often and hope they are well.  I still crave the peace and seclusion of the farm.

I don't miss the bitter cold Iowa winter though.  It's nice to not have my snot freeze in my nose when I walk outside!  


No comments:

Post a Comment