Friday, February 13, 2009

Ye-haw!

I need a horse. Why? Because it's hard to herd cattle in my Honda. It's even harder on foot. I have had to herd cows about 4 times now living on this farm. I swear we have a 'houdini' of a cow amongst us. She/he know's how to open gates. Last summer I went out to get the mail, opened my back door and was greeted by one of the new mama cows face to face. Needless to say, I quickly went back inside and called my landlord to tell him the cows got out... again. Houdini I tell ya! Anyhow... the cows were headed toward the road and even though not many people drive down our long dirt road, the crazy UPS driver would be all it takes to guarantee hamburgers for a year. So, I went out my front door and tried to get around them to "shew" them back toward the barn. My "shewing" didn't work so well since "shew" is something you would say to a fly. Ha ha ha. Luckily, the landlord pulled up right then and used his mighty Chevy Avalanche to turn them around. I learned something then that I used today.

On my way home from work I came up over the hill and the cows were all in the road. I almost created some hamburgers myself because I was admiring the deer out in the field instead of watching the road. Our landlord had been spreading cow poo on the fields since the snow had melted off and had left the gate open for a few minutes to go back to the barns and load up again. Lovely smell in the air on those days by the way. Pee Uuu.... or as my dad would say, "Poo Tinkey". *giggle* Anyhow, as cows go they just stand in the road and look at you like you are in their way. So, I reved up my little Honda and gunned it honking all the way. Luckily it worked and instead of running up the road, they went back into the field. Then I got out of the car and went to close the gate but realized our landlord would be coming with another load and wouldn't want to get out into the mud and open it again so I figured I'd better leave it open. So, I implemented my other learned thing and started yelling at them. Instead of saying "shew" I said what my landlord says... "whooo ahhhh". Must be magic because it worked and they took off running towards the barns. Hah!

Thank heavens there are not many people living around here to witness what I was doing today or they may have made a call to police saying there is a crazy lady out chasing cows in a Honda and "whoo ahhhhing" in the fields. My landlord was impressed. Maybe that will be my next job... except I'd still rather have a horse.


On a side note.... This little guy has been my new friend as of late.
Normally we don't see these little opossum's because they are not normally out in daylight unless they are rabid or something. This guy is very young and I suspect he's an orphan. I thought he was cute and named him 'Dilbert'.

1 comment:

  1. I laugh out loud every time I read this blog of yours! Maybe the next time you are out this way I can get you to give my Activity Day girls a lesson in herding cows. Ha ha! And little Dilbert is very sweet looking, I hope he doesn't become something on the Road Kill Diner menu.

    ReplyDelete