Saturday, February 7, 2009

It's a Love/Hate thing

Our jobs. We absolutely love what we do.... except for when we hate it. LOL.

LOVES:

1) You can look like a total scrounge and nobody cares. You can wear you pj's if you want to, the same clothes for 2 weeks in a row, etc... You don't even have to brush your hair if you don't want to although I do... wouldn't want to give anyone a heart attack from fright would we? The only thing that will get you in trouble here at Swifts is a shirt with a swear word on it, a Mohawk hairdo, or piercings other than your ears. Those are no no's.

2) You get to be in a nice warm greenhouse where you can bask under the sun (if it's out) and if it's not out there are lights that make it feel like it's sunny. You get to be around beautiful, green, live plants when everything else outside in winter is white, brown and dead looking. Very nice when it's -45 outside to be basking in the sun and getting a tan. Too bad it's a farmer tan, but hey... we live on a farm.

3) Having OCD is a good thing. HAH! Who would have thought that my 'brain disorder' would come in handy? My job is to make the plant trays (trays have either 286 or 512 plants in them) look as perfect as possible. A person with OCD's dream come true!! I love it! They always give me the crappiest trays to work on and apologize for doing so and I think it's so funny because I want the crappiest trays! Give me more!

4) Free entertainment. Where else can you watch one of your bosses freak out over a song playing on the radio. I mean seriously freak out.... temper tantrum. It was so dang hilarious. Scott comes bolting out of the office screaming "who turned on this radio station?" "This is totally unprofessional music!". The song... "girls, girls, girls," by Mötley Crüe. Certainly not the worst song in the world, but enough to create a scene. I can't even imagine what would have happened if it was a rap song with vulgarity in it.... he'd probably have a coronary. By the way... it was Shaun who turned on that station... such a rebel. LOL.

5) Free plants. I'm amazed at what they throw out. They think it's easier to just start over each year then to save the old plants from last year that didn't sell. Fine with me... they come to our yard. I swear I have at least a thousand bucks in my backyard from the last 2 years. I think it's a shame to let that all go to waste.


HATES:

1) Spring. It makes even the nicest people grow horns and become evil. The bosses yelling "we need this now", "we needed that yesterday", "do this", "do that", "that's wrong" blah blah blah! We had a "spring" like day today and I'm surprised someone didn't commit murder.

2) Family business. Oh we've been there before but this family is enough to drive you mad. Every family business will have some disagreements amongst people. I remember the fights from when we had the garden center, particularly the one on the back lawn where everyone quit but me. LOL. However, this family is so high strung and stubborn that it's amazing they can keep employees during spring. Mother, father, 2 sons and a daughter all in the same office together... it's frightening. The father and daughter are the most layed back and easiest to get along with. The mother is too hyper and can't even sit down for more than 2 minutes without going bonkers. The two sons argue all the time and I'm amazed they haven't gotten into a fist fight although I must admit that would be quite entertaining. The main problem with these two is that they "think" out loud. They ramble off orders like crazy and then change their mind to something completely different and get mad that you didn't do it that way in the first place. So annoying.

3) Stupid people. There are some in every job. This week, I spend the WHOLE week fixing someone else's mistakes. Of course as I mentioned above I like to fix things but not in this case. This person just didn't pay attention and spent more time flapping her mouth than moving her hands. We are there to work, not chit chat. Grrrr. Also under the label of "stupid people" fall "backstabbers". Again, there are some in every job. Here, there are quite a few. They also fall under the "butt kissers" and "suck ups" category.

4) People who don't wear belts and bend over. One of the bosses is very guilty of this and lets just say it's not they type of moon anyone wants to see. It's too bright! *giggle*

5) Summer. Not a fun time to work in a greenhouse when it's already 90 degree's outside with 90% humidity. I'd rather be out planting all those flowers they throw away sipping a nice tasty lemonade. LOL.


So there you have it... our love/hate relationship with our jobs. We haven't been able to ship for 3 weeks because it's been so cold. Monday we are shipping it all so I believe it will be a "hate" day. LOL. Oh joy, I can't wait! I better eat my wheaties.

3 comments:

  1. This was funny to read! I'm glad you wrote it, there were lots of things I learned about your job. I'm interested to know what your hours are and when do you EVER SLEEP? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believe it or not, "Girls, Girls, Girls" seemed to be our 'song' when Dave and I were dating. Motley Crew was always on the radio then. That one cracked me up. And I wouldn't mind a little green house affect at my place right now, farmer tan included. Ha ha! You are too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brooke: I do have a very strict schedule I follow because I've learned from Shaun that if I didn't declare that before I started working there they will take advantage of me. So, I work 12:30-4:30. I have been working at home a bit doing tags but that's not bad. Shaun on the other hand has no such thing as a schedule. He "technically" gets off at 4:30 but that rarely happens. He sometimes doesn't get home until 9pm. He eats, goes right to bed and starts all over. Sucks, but the overtime pay is nice :)

    Charity... seriously? LOL! Now when I hear that song I will think of you two!

    ReplyDelete