Tuesday, May 26, 2009

One year ago today...

Ask anyone who lives near Parkersburg Iowa where they were at 4:59pm on May 25 of last year and they will be able to tell you. We were on a hike only 15 miles away from Parkersburg. Little did we know that an EF5 tornado over a mile wide was ripping that town apart only miles away from us. Where we were it was a beautiful day... a bit muggy, but nice. Had it hit where we were that day... we'd most likely be dead.

It's quite appropriate that the one year mark fell on Memorial Day. Today at 4:59 all the church and school bells rang to honor the 8 dead from that day in Parkersburg. I have always been fascinated by tornado's. Always. I have always wanted to witness one... as long as it's out in a field doing nothing but stirring up dirt and a few tree's. The fascination stops when you see the sheer power of how it chews things up and spits them out miles away. Everyone see's tornado video on the news and yes, it looks horrible. But, it doesn't even come close to seeing it in person. On TV, all you see is what fits on the screen and it looks like a movie. In person, you see for miles. Miles that contain nothing of what was once there. It's been wiped clean.

Today the weather was complete opposite of last year. This whole spring has been rather quiet. Right after the ceremony in town and the bells stopped, it started to rain. Everyone remarked that it was like the heavens were crying for the lost. Parkersburg today is very different than last year. About 200 of the 283 homes that were leveled have been rebuilt bigger and better... and all with storm shelters. The high school is almost done and will open in fall. There is a new playground that is named "miracle park" because there was not one child lost in the storm. I consider that a miracle too considering how huge this monster was. A guy from FEMA was here again today to document the towns progress and remarked that he's never seen a town recover and bounce back as fast as Parkersburg did. That is one thing about Iowans... they are hard workers. Especially in smaller farming communities. They all help each other and open their doors to anyone who needs a place.

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you invited me to your blog. I have one too but it is private. Send me your e-mail and I will invite you to my blog!!! Crazy about the tornado. That is so scarry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is crazy! I can't believe that it wasn't bad weather where you guys were hiking. And I'm glad it didn't go where you were. Those pictures are so sad.

    ReplyDelete