Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Bug of the month...

I always joke with my mom that they should have a "bug of the Month" calendar for Iowa. I've never lived in such a buggy place. There are a few bugs for this month... including flies and mosquito's but they are here all summer and everywhere else in the world too so they are no big deal. But here in Iowa, there are bugs I've never seen before moving East out of Utah. So, without further hesitation, here is June's "bug of the month"...

Meet, the 'June Bug'. How appropriate.

Ugly little things eh? Stupid as can be. The first summer after we moved to Iowa, I heard this tapping sound on my windows at night. My first thought was that someone was window peeping and tapping on my window. Ha ha ha! It freaked me out a bit. Then I learned that is was these beetles flying around wacking themselves into my windows wherever the lights were on. I found that out by mistakenly going outside to get something and was pounded in the head with multiple June Bugs. Those things hurt! They bury in the dirt during the day... you never see them until night . They do damage... the adults eat tree foliage, etc..., and the larva (grubs) eat the grass roots. Some people eat them.

Prepare to be grossed out...

"If eating insects interests you, the June Beetle is a best choice. When toasted in hot ashes, the internal body parts and juices of the bug congeal into an edible nugget. After peeling off shriveled legs, wings, and wing case, the remaining tidbit can be eaten one at a time or by the handful. Toasted May Beetles have a surprisingly sweet taste. The flavor is said to resemble thick raw molasses or crudely made cane syrup. If mixed with warm milk, it has a malted milk taste. "


Ew. No thanks.

1 comment:

  1. I have yet to find a smart insect. And the June bug recipes are very...intersting. Ha ha! Maybe we can get Shaun to try them out and let us know if they really do taste sweet like molasses or cane sugar. Heehee. IF that ever does happen, I want to see pictures. :D

    ReplyDelete