When we moved to the Midwest 8 years ago, we instantly noticed that people are much more friendly and less judgmental out here. I love that. When we first got here, to Iowa, we both laughed at how everyone waves to you. It doesn't happen everywhere... only in the small towns (like the one we live near) or out in the farmland where we live. If you are driving down the road and pass a farm with someone out in the yard, they will wave whether they know you or not. If I'm out in my yard, anybody who drives by waves to me. However, if you are driving and you encounter a truck (or more likely tractor) coming the opposite direction, there are 3 types of waves possible.
1) If it's an ol' timer farmer, they will lift their hand off the steering wheel and give you a big jolly side to side wave and a big grin.
2) If it's most people, they will leave the palm of their hand on the steering wheel and just lift their fingers at you.
3) If it's a youngin' or someone who thinks they are really cool, they will leave their entire hand on the steering wheel and only lift the index finger.
Cracks. Me. Up. Funny thing is, I find myself doing this as well. I must be a real Iowan now.
Tuesday, November 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment