I have struggled with writing this post for a very long time now. A VERY long time. But, the time has come to finally write out something that has been plaguing me for 27 years. Friday night (tomorrow) on ABC, 20/20 will be doing a story on a condition called 'Misophonia'. I can guarantee that most people will have never heard of it. Most doctors have never even heard of it. It is a condition that very few know anything about. Nobody knows what causes it, or how to fix it. It's strange, very strange. And with 'strange' comes judgement. We have been labeled as 'crazy', 'stupid' etc.... Believe me, we don't need to be called those things. We already feel that way. What is it? Well, the current definition is 'hatred of sound'. But, that is NOT accurate. There are certain sounds that we hate, but more that we really love. It's not all sound like the definition implies.
There are different ranges on the scale of severity. Some are mildly bothered whereas others are so severe they lock themselves in their house and wear earplugs all day. I'm somewhere in the middle. The most common sounds that bother those with Misophonia are related to
eating sounds. Also, things like sniffling, coughing, clicking sounds and other sounds
that are specific to each individual. Some people are bothered by
certain letters in words, such as 'p', 's', or 'k'. Thank heavens I'm not. The sounds that bother me most include eating sounds (crunching in movie theaters drive me mad), dogs barking, certain birds (like bluejays), gum popping, and the sound of my dogs licking their paws. Strange I know. There is also gaining evidence that there is a genetic component to this. I suspect my mother has this to some degree and I know my sister does.
Most people who have this recall their first irritation with sound in relation to a parent and it seems to be more common in females. Most people have their first issue with this condition around age 10-12. I was 12. I remember clearly the day it happened. I was at the dinner table when suddenly the sound of my fathers eating drove me NUTS. My dad was not even a noisy, ill mannered eater. But even though he chewed with his mouth shut, I could hear it and it bugged me. I remember flying into a fit of rage, and not understanding 'why'. Going to school with sniffing kids was difficult, though my own sniffing didn't bother me. Why? I was SO confused as a kid. Why did these sounds bug me? Why did they make me feel terrible when other people didn't even notice them? I have always had exceptional hearing, which doesn't help the situation either. There have been so many time I have said, "what's that noise?" and Shaun can't hear it until we open the window or something. Hah!
Most people are irritated or don't like some sounds in life. Take fingernails on the chalkboard for example. But there is a clear difference between a simple annoyance and Misophonia. I hate the sound of fingernails on the chalkboard. I also hate the sound of styrofoam rubbing against something but it ends with that. I just don't like it. It doesn't do to me what the sound of my dog licking her paws does. When I hear what we call a 'trigger' sound, I instantly zone in on it. Whatever I was doing when I heard the sound I instantly can't do any longer. My concentration has been zapped. I feel like I've been punched in the stomach. Instant anxiety, panic, anger. The fight or flight mechanism in my brain has been triggered and I feel like I MUST get away from that sound. Then of course the stupidity of it all comes into play and we beat ourselves up for feeling this way over a stupid sound. I've been lucky that my mom and sister 'get me' and Shaun, though he doesn't quite understand it fully, doesn't mock me like some have. Luckily, he doesn't bother me either like so many who have this spouses do. Well that's a lie.... he snores and that drive me mad. But, it's nothing a good kick can't fix. Hee Hee.
Doctors are now starting to take notice. I'm hoping they will do research and study this more. I'd volunteer to be the guinea pig any day! I hope they can find out what is causing this mis-wiring in the brain and learn how to fix it because so far, their solution of drugging us with psych meds hasn't worked. Believe me, if I could take a pill to fix this I WOULD. All I want is for people to watch, and keep an open mind. Realize that there are people you encounter everyday who may be struggling with something that just because you don't fully understand it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I wouldn't wish this on anyone...
Thursday, May 17, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment