I always used to hate the question, "where do you see yourself in 5 years?" I remember getting that question a lot throughout my life. Of course, it all starts with the question, "what do you want to be when you grow up?" I remember as a kid answering that question with the typical answers of "a teacher", or "a dancer", or "a veterinarian". Of course in my mind I really never wanted to do any of those things. The only thing I wanted to do was be was a mother, a mother just like mine. Even in high school when they'd give you assessments to help you choose a career path for college, and ask where you'll be in 5 years, I always just went through the motions. I said I'd be graduating college, starting a job. Blah blah blah. Again all I really wanted was to get married and be a mom. To me that was the greatest achievement. I did however want to go to school, simply to have accomplished it. But it wasn't on my 'have to do now' list. I felt I had time, even after getting married.
After high school, one of my things happened... I got married. The new 5 years question was answered with Shaun graduating college, getting into law school and starting a family. But that was changed when Shaun decided against law school to pursue the family business in horticulture. That was great, until it closed shortly after 9/11. Then the job jumping began and it threw off the 5 year plan again. When we married, I saw us having kids within 5 years. That never happened so it became part of the next 5 years plan, and the next and the next. My 'plans' of being a mom never happened no matter how much I wanted it.
A couple years ago, back in Iowa, things were going well for us. I felt like we were finally gaining ground and perhaps the 5 years plan would work this time. Buying the farmhouse, fostering/adopting some kids, getting back to school... that was the plan. But once again life threw us a curve ball and dashed my hopes.
I have learned that the question of 'where do you see
yourself in 5 years' is completely dumb. Because no matter where you see yourself,
it doesn't mean you'll be there. It's almost like setting yourself up for
a let down. The sad reality is that I'm no farther in life now than I was 20 years ago. I have no job, no schooling, no kids. It's not what I had planned. I'm tired of people judging me for not having kids as if I didn't want them and planned it that way. I wish they'd realize that not everyone is lucky in life.
So now if that 5 years question was asked of me I have a vision in my head, but I refuse to think it because chances are it won't happen. I'd have to say that I don't know and there is no point in planning anything. Maybe if I just hope for nothing, I'll get something. Perhaps I should plan on living in my car. Ha ha! I guess I won't be let down that way.
Normally I'm not a pessimistic person. Quite the opposite really. I hate having these thoughts running through my head, so that is why I write them down here... to get them out. This is my therapy.
Saturday, May 12, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment