There are some days that I really HATE living on this farm. It’s been a rough spring so far. I came home from work the other day to see a cow hanging from the tractor being drained of blood. Not a normal sight around here at all since our landlord does not use his own cattle for meat. I knew something must have happened but I was not about to go find out what. Today we found out that she had died because Lynn (our landlord) had not been able to deliver the calf in time and both mom and baby died. He was heartbroken. So, not to waste the cow, his son was preparing it to take to the local butcher. Lynn refuses to eat his own cows. He does eat meat and so do we, but I can see where he’s coming from. He names the cows just like I do and he gets quite attached to them, especially when they are calves. It’s quite refreshing to see someone else who cares for animals as much as I do. Anyhow, this is the second calf that has died this year. There are two more still to deliver. I know it’s part of farm life but I hate to be a witness to it. There has been only one cow to die since we moved here over 2 years ago and it was a very old mom who just gave birth to twins… Mork and Mindy. LOL. She was a sweet mom and it was so sad when she died, but at the same time she was so worn out that she couldn’t even nurse. We ended up bottle feeding the calves which was really cool. Those two calves were quite the little terrors but a lot of fun. They aren't so little anymore.
On a brighter note we have a new batch of barn kitties. I haven’t found them yet but I can hear them in the barn. Plus, I know they’ve been born because the mom kitty came over to eat today and she can finally fit through the fence posts since she is skinny again. I guess I’d better start thinking of names.
These situations seem so "Laura Ingals" for me being somewhat urbanized. Like I'm reading them out of a book. And you're actually living them. Sorry to hear about the cow and calf, that is so sad! And I think you should names all of these kittens with a theme like names from Germany or old fashion names like Gertrude and Betty.
ReplyDeleteI know huh. Sometimes I feel like Laura Ingals! It's sad sometimes but a lot of fun most the other times. I love the ideas about naming the cats... there are a few litters each year and we always run out of names. LOL.
ReplyDelete