Monday, July 6, 2009

Small Town 4th of July

Living in a small town is sort of fun on the 4th of July. Since moving from Utah, and especially since moving to Iowa, it seems that the 4th is so different. Utah was too commercialized almost... big fireworks shows like Sugarhouse park and Stadium of Fire. They were great and all but I almost enjoy it here more for the fact that it seems more "small town" if that makes any sense. Ha ha. Every year, our boss invites the entire town (a whopping 250) to his home for a party on the 4th of July. He lives in this beautiful victorian house on many acres of woods and has his own lake. Yes I'm jealous. Ha ha. He also invites all the people from work to attend. We usually have to work so we go over for lunch and pig out. Every small town here has their own celebration of sorts. Some have "tractor days". Some have "corn days". They usually involve a parade of about 10 cars, lots of kids, and probably a few horses. Ha ha. What was probably the coolest thing this year was sitting out in the hammock and watching the fireworks from all the farms within about 15 miles. That's one advantage of living where it's flat... you can see forever. Plus, many fireworks are legal that aren't in Utah. You can light off the HUGE ones here. The farm just north east of us had a huge party and lit off quite a few. I got the biggest kick out of it because of how sound travels. I would watch them launch, then explode..... then I'd hear the "boom" and all the people go "Ahhhhhh" moments later. It totally cracked me up. Logically I know we all saw it explode at the same time, yet I didn't hear their reaction until after I had mine. I laughed myself silly over that.

Wow, I shouldn't have just admitted that... it just proves how desperate I am for entertainment in the middle of nowhere Iowa. bwahahahaha.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds so nostalgic, like you're living back in the 40's or 50's, almost hard for me to imagine. I'm so jealous! Just another reason to convince Dave to move to Iowa. The 4th of July, the slow lifestyle, the rolling hills and beautiful color, the lighting bugs and frogs. I'm keeping a running tab. Pretty soon I'll have enough pros to outweigh he cons and we can start packing our bags.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! There is a lot that I love here but there are definite cons as well. Maybe I should do a Pro's and Con's post for you. ;) Ha ha ha.

    ReplyDelete