Thursday, July 2, 2009

Bug of the Month

Yep, it's that time again. Only this time it's the most awesome bug EVER! The firefly or lightning bug as they call it here. It's not a fly at all really... it's a beetle that can fly. They start to appear at the end of June but are most abundant in July. I always remember them being out on the 4th of July... our own fireworks. They take flight right around sunset. I love to sit out in my hammock swing and watch them dance over the corn fields by the thousands. It's quite a sight to see.
How do they light up you ask? Here is the answer: "Fireflies produce light via a chemical reaction consisting of Luciferin (a substrate) combined with Luciferase (an enzyme), ATP (adenosine triphosphate) and oxygen. When these components are added, light is produced". Did you understand that? Neither did I. All I know is they are SO COOL!
Now, here is a little video I took of them in my backyard. However, they are hard to film because you can't wait until it's completely black or there won't be enough light for the camera. This video does not do them justice... they are SO bright. Best advice: Keep your eyes steady a little above the center and hopefully you can see them. Notice how quiet it is here... all you hear is the robins and cardinals chirping and the wind through the pines. Lovely.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE lightening bugs! We use to catch them when I was a kid and put them in mason jars. Sometimes my grandma would smash their light onto a rock then the rock would glow. We loved it! I wish Utah had them!

    ReplyDelete