I have been listening to my i-tunes library the last few nights to distract me from the stupid new dog across the street who won't seem to stop barking. *growls* Anyhow, I'm a huge movie soundtrack fan and a song came on that I hadn't listened to in a very long time. There was probably a reason for not listening to it for a very long time. It made me bawl like a baby. Ha ha. It was the 'Finale' song from the movie "Ice Castles", a movie that inspired me to become an ice-skater at the tender age of 9. I remember watching that movie and was so intrigued. I would pretend to ice skate around my living room from that night on. So, when we moved to Utah my parents decided to let me try something different. I had been in ballet and loved that, but wasn't sure I could start over with a new teacher. My ballet teacher then was the best ever... and still is. So, I got my wish and began ice-skating. I LOVED it. When I skated, I felt free. I loved feeling the cold wind on my skin when gliding around the rink. I instantly knew, I had found my thing in life. I had big plans and big dreams.
I skated until age 19 and during those 10 years I got to experience some of the most fun times in my life. I got to see a lot of the USA by traveling to competitions with my team. Alaska, Boston, Rhode Island, California, Seattle, etc... I was a part of the 'Peppermint Supremes' afterall.... a team that was well known around the states. I was very proud of that. We did ice shows up in Sun Valley, Idaho where we were put up in the nicest lodge, and were able to go to any restaurant and say, "bill it to my room" and they covered all charges. That was so freakin' fun! So back to why this song makes me cry like a baby... it brings back the end of my love. I stopped skaing because of bone spurs on my feet. I could barely get my feet in shoes, much less a skating boot. 4 surgeries later and it was all over. I was heart broken but never really let anyone see that. I bottled it up for years. But, it rears it's ugly face when I hear that song, or see a little kid skating on a pond in the winter. My skates still sit in my bag in my closet. I put them on from time to time just to remember the feel of them but have not skated since that day I had to quit. It's been 17 years, but I just can't seem to part with them. I often wonder where I'd gone with it had I never stopped. Olympics? Maybe. More likely, I'd be a teacher. I was well on my way with my testing to become a teacher when the bones started growing. I never got to finish. Maybe it's that unfinished business that really bothers me. I hate leaving things undone, unaccomplished. It's frustrating to me.
Jeez... I need to turn off my i-tunes library if this is what it's going to do to me! Ha ha. I have a horrible habit of attaching strong memories with music. I blame my mother for that. :)
Friday, July 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment