There is only one thing that really sucks about a vacation. It must end. You must go home and get back into the swing of reality. Normally I can do that quite well after a trip but it's much harder when that trip is going home to see family and friends. We had a lot of fun on this trip. I got to do and see some things I haven't experienced in a year. I saw an airplane. That sounds silly but I've only seen one airplane this year and it was a crop duster. Ha ha. I also rode an escalator... twice in fact. I also saw two movies on a big screen. See how deprived we are here when I talk of airplanes, escalators, and movies? Seriously though... our movie theater in town has a screen that is no bigger than some people's home theaters in their houses. We went to the mountains to camp and hike. It was so fun. I always feel most at home in the mountains.
The drive back to Iowa was horrid this year. We already were crabby based on the fact that neither one of us wanted to return to Iowa. Then the dogs got in an all out brawl in the front seat over a piece of Arby's roast beef sandwich I accidentally dropped. In hindsight it's hilarious but in the moment I wasn't to happy with the little beasts. There was road work all the way plus we got stuck in traffic for a good hour in Des Moines so that some dork could jackhammer a little piece of road. They blocked off all lanes of I-80 except one for him. I hope he enjoyed his jackhammering. As soon as we hit mid Nebraska we all started sneezing and itching (dogs included). Our allergies are much worse here. Normally I enjoy the peace and quiet here but the first couple days back it really bothers me. It's quite depressing going from being around family/friends talking all the time to being back where I can only talk to cows. Ha ha.
There are a couple things I'm happy about being back in Iowa. One is not having to pre-pay to pump gas. That is SO annoying to me. I'm glad my lips and skin are no longer chapped and I don't need lotion or chapstick for another year. I'm glad to be back on roads with people who wave regardless of whether they know you or not and drive somewhat normal. Utah drivers are PSYCHO. I was happy to see a few fireflies left and hear the cicada's buzzing. I missed my garden and was excited to see my huge dahlia's blooming. Other than that, I'm homesick already.
Saturday, August 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment