Friday, June 26, 2009

'Thriller'

I doubt there is anyone in the world who doesn't know who Michael Jackson is. Whether people listened to him as a kid in the Jackson 5 or on his own, he's spanned many years in the industry. We were shocked when we heard about his death today. He was no doubt one of the biggest influences in music and a very talented person. Of course, he got a little weird later in his life, but back in the 80's... Michael was the man. Him and Prince were my favorites growing up. In the late 70's, his songs 'Rock with You' and 'Don't stop till you get enough' were among my favorites and still are. They have that 'disco' feel to them. Then in the 80's, I'll never forget when the music video for 'Thriller' came out. I stayed up late (until 1am) to watch it on 'Friday Night Video's'. I think I was about 10 or 11. Of course after that, my friends and I would do the 'Thriller' Dance in the living room over and over again. Ha ha ha. As I got older, I watched my nieces listen to his music and love him just the same. My mother liked him... until he started to do the 'crotch grab'. Ha ha. Then she started to say "He's a little weird". Despite his strangeness at times, he will always be a big part of my childhood that holds many memories. I think I need to whip out the old Michael Jackson 'History' album and take a listen for old times sake.

No comments:

Post a Comment