Friday, December 11, 2009

Blizzard.....

It's not technically even winter yet, but we were clobbered with a horrid storm Tuesday and Wednesday. They claim it was the worst storm in 3 decades and I believe it. Work was canceled which NEVER happens. One grower, Chris, was going to go in to water the plants (since they could care less about the weather and want their water!). He lives in town about 15 miles away and I knew as the winds started to blow Tuesday night that there was NO WAY he was going to make it. We got 15 inches of snow, which if it had stayed put wouldn't have been a problem. But add 50 mile an hour winds for 2 days and you have a BIG problem. So, Wednesday morning we get a call from Chris saying there's no way he can make it. No surprise. However, someone had to get there and the boss called us and informed us that since Shaun was closest he would have to get there. We told him we couldn't even get out of our driveway since there was a 4.5 foot drift there. So, he came and picked Shaun up on the snowmobile. That's the only way to get out during blizzards here.

Shaun wasn't happy to have to go to work on the back of a snowmobile with his boss. LOL! Off they go! I laughed my butt off watching out the window. Pardon the crappy pictures but they were all taken from inside my warm house. I was not about to go outside!This was our driveway mid-day yesterday. That drift of snow actually grew 2 more feet by the time it got dark. This was taken from my kitchen window looking down so it doesn't look nearly as deep as it was. I opened my back door and there was a 4 foot wall of snow from the wind blowing it against the house all day. Snow drifts are like art. You can have bare grass next to a carved 10 foot deep pile of snow. They are quite fascinating and very deceiving. I went out to feed my cold starving birds today and was walking along when 'poof', I sunk up to my thigh in snow. I hope the birds appreciate that food!We are still digging out. Our road is still only wide enough for one car to pass. When I went to work today I went along a stretch of road where my car barely fit and as I looked out my side windows all I saw was snow. The drifts were that high! The main road we usually take to work is still closed. The caterpillar plow hasn't even touched it yet and you can't even tell there is a road even there. I get the feeling it's going to be a LONG winter! I can't wait until spring. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment