I was looking forward to this day for the previous 10 and then some. Kentucky. I have always wanted to see Kentucky. I am obsessed with horses so I planned the route to pass through the famous thoroughbred lands. We started at the Cumberland Gap National park. We actually weren't planning on going there but we had time so we did.
Enter rain, and LOTS of it. Suddenly my perfect day went to the pits. The Cumberland Gap was BEAUTIFUL. We were so sad it was raining since it was a great place to hike and explore. Normally you can stand on top of this peak and see 3 states. I could barely see across the valley. Plus, the leaves were so vivid and gorgeous and of course the rain/clouds washed them out. Bummer.


It was pouring buckets on us so we bagged the hiking and vowed to return possibly next fall. We then drove up a winding little road though the beautiful landscape passing farms along the way. Interesting thing there was that the fences that surrounded the farms were not the typical whitewash like they are here or out west. They were black. Black fences, black barns. It was kinda cool looking. Practically every single barn we saw had tobacco hanging from the rafters to dry. It was so cool and I wish I could have gotten photo's of that. The road we were on was so narrow with nowhere to pull over. Sucked for the picture aspect. We finally got to where the top horses were bred, born and raised. The farms were gorgeous and the plantation houses were amazing. Again, no photo's. *sigh*
Unfortunately due to the pounding rain, all the horses were in the barns and I only saw one horse. Yep, one... and it happened to be peeing. LOL! I remarked, "Oh lovely... I travel all this way to see the horses and the one I do see is peeing." Shaun thought it was hilarious which only made me madder. Hah.
So, my Kentucky day did not exactly turn out how I'd planned and hoped. Oh well... gives me an excuse to go back!
Day 12... Drove back to Iowa and back to the reality of work. Bleh. Definitely a fun vacation though and we'd love to do it all over again.
Sorry Darlene, I know you were flippin' mad, but the irony is hilarious. What are the chances? The peeing horse, a symbol of Kentucky that will forever remain in your memories. Gives the saying, "I need to pee like a race horse" a whole new meaning.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing some great stories and pics of your vacation! It was fun to see and read about the different places you visited. Too bad about Kentucky though. But the rain reminded me of one of my dad's favorite sayings..."It's raining harder than a cow (or horse in this case) peeing on a flat rock"...ha!
ReplyDelete*snort* Ok you both just made me totally laugh about it! Ha ha ha!
ReplyDelete