Monday, December 28, 2009

a work of art...

If you have not seen the movie 'Avatar'... RUN to the theater! By far the most amazing movie I have seen in a very long time. Not only in the way it was filmed (special effects, 3D) but the messages it provides. If people simply go to this movie thinking it will be entertaining they won't be disappointed. However, if they don't walk away having learned something or gained a greater appreciation for the world around them, then they have surely wasted their money.
Perhaps this movie just struck a chord with me because it mirrors my own beliefs. Perhaps it's because the people of the movie (the Na'vi) are very similar to the Native Americans and their beliefs... except they are giant blue beings with tails. LOL. It also mirrors what ultimately happened to them. White men arriving on their land only to take, take, take. Viewed as savages standing in the way of progress. Anyone who knows me knows how passionate I am about the Native American culture and I believe the same things they do.
The world that was created in this movie is a dream. Perfect. But it's because the people lived as one with their land. They didn't take from it without giving back. They believe that tree's are not simply tree's, but are part of a network of energy. They believe that the value of the world does not lie in the ground (such as gems) but rather all around them... the plants, the animals, the people. If such a place as Pandora did exist, I wonder how many people would choose to leave their cell phones, iPods, laptops and fancy cars to live there.
I know I would.

No comments:

Post a Comment