Despite doing all the 'normal' things, none of it is any fun anymore without being home. Not having family to be with, neighbors to take goodies to, etc... it just isn't Christmas. I thought that it would get easier every year we were away but it actually gets harder. All it takes is hearing Josh Groban's "I'll be home for Christmas" and I lose it. Every year I think to myself, "maybe next year I'll be home" but it never happens. Here's thinking to next year...
Saturday, December 26, 2009
Going through the motions...
I'm glad Christmas is over. It's not been my favorite holiday for the last 7 years... the amount of years we've been away. I do all the same things I normally did when we were living home. I put up the tree and decorate the house. I wrap gifts, make the cookies, fudge, etc.... I listen to my favorite Chistmas CD, Tchaikovsky's the Nutcracker. I also watch the Nutcracker ballet, the one with Mikhail Baryshnikov that came out in 1977 when I was only 4. I used to dance along in my living room when I was in ballet. I have watched that tape every year since and I'm amazed it still works. I don't dance anymore but rather sit on my couch and eat chocolate. LOL! I also watched the movies we traditionally watch each Christmas... "A Christmas Story", "Little Women", "Home Alone", etc...
Despite doing all the 'normal' things, none of it is any fun anymore without being home. Not having family to be with, neighbors to take goodies to, etc... it just isn't Christmas. I thought that it would get easier every year we were away but it actually gets harder. All it takes is hearing Josh Groban's "I'll be home for Christmas" and I lose it. Every year I think to myself, "maybe next year I'll be home" but it never happens. Here's thinking to next year...
Despite doing all the 'normal' things, none of it is any fun anymore without being home. Not having family to be with, neighbors to take goodies to, etc... it just isn't Christmas. I thought that it would get easier every year we were away but it actually gets harder. All it takes is hearing Josh Groban's "I'll be home for Christmas" and I lose it. Every year I think to myself, "maybe next year I'll be home" but it never happens. Here's thinking to next year...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I would feel this way, too. :( I thought about you guys a lot on Christmas. We missed you!!!!
ReplyDelete