There is a song that I absolutely love. It's called 'The House that Built Me' by Miranda Lambert. So much of who we become is from what we experienced as a child. I loved my childhood. I was heartbroken when we moved away when I was only 10. I left everything I knew behind for a world I felt lost in. For years I would dwell on how much I missed the place I called (and still call) home... Boulder City, Nevada. The house I grew up in still stands. I went back over 10 years ago and met up with my childhood friend (and still best friend) Jeni. We went to my old house and the people living there were the ones who bought the house from my dad... they remembered me. They allowed us to walk around... the memories flooded back. The old Apricot tree was gone (my mom made great jam). The once green backyard where I played with my dog, and buried my matchbox cars was neglected. The sliding door still had the lock my dad invented on it (ha ha). The green shag carpet was gone (thank heavens). The best part was that my tree was still there in the front yard. I lived in that tree. My mom used to bring me peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to eat for dinner in that tree because I didn't want to go in for dinner. Jeni and I hung once again from the branches of that tree. Even though the house was different in many ways, it still felt the same to me.... like home. I loved going back again, and like the song says... I took nothing but a memory, from the house that built me.
http://www.cmt.com/videos/miranda-lambert/500805/the-house-that-built-me.jhtml
(there's a dumb ad first)
Thursday, June 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I have so many great memories from that house...constructing haunted houses in the hallway, sleeping in Sharla's bed when she was away (and the sign in her room that said "Do unto others before they do it to you!"), climbing up the door jams with muddy hands and feet to help us "stick", and especially playing in the awesome trees out front. Do you remember carving things into the trees...like pretend television sets? Ha! I also remember 'minic' and sneaking Chips Ahoy late at night. What about the silly dance we used to do during the opening song of "Dallas"? And of course no one can make a PB&J like your mom! Do you remember the race we had to see who could finish their Nacho Cheese Doritos the fastest? It resulted in quite a mess for your mom to clean up and me not being able to go to the rodeo. Wow, I could go on and on. It was so fun to go back and walk through that house. I love driving by it now, it reminds me of all the great memories I will never forget.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete