Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Amazed....

Christmas time is always hard... we've been away from family for 10 years now. It doesn't get easier with time. Although we didn't have money to do anything, we decided to take a little drive down to Jamestown on Christmas Eve to try and get our minds off things. I've always wanted to visit Jamestown. Once down there we realized how big the area really is and decided to go back in spring, since much of the park is seen by walking. I can't wait.

We ended up in Williamsburg, which I was recommended to see by a friend who lives here in Virginia (ironically she worked where we did in Iowa). It was not a disappointment. It was an old town with colonial construction, which I am fond of. Every house had wreathes hanging over every window and on every door. It was BEAUTIFUL! I can't believe I forgot my camera. I've not been in the mood much to take pictures, which I guess is why. Normally it's attached to my hip.

Anyhow, we ended up lost in the historic district and it was SO dark. I was in awe at the quaint little street lights... I felt like I was in a fairy tale. All the homes were lit with candles in the windows. We came upon a large gathering of people at a very old building. We pulled over and got out to see what was going on. The only light was that of the candles people were holding, and some large torches. The whole town had gathered to hear the traditional telling of the story of the first Christmas tree there in the 1600's. Then they sang "Oh Christmas Tree". Following the song, the silence was broken by a joint gasp, "Ohhhh" as they lit the town tree. The tree was magnificent! Huge and covered with white lights. It was a really cool thing to experience being there. The only picture I could manage was with my cell phone and it SUCKS! Argggg I wish I had my camera. I would have had magnificent shots.

On our way home we discussed how our life is so different now. We had the liberty in Iowa to pay our bills with ease, save money in our IRA, and still be able to enjoy life a little... dinner and a movie every month, and take a joy ride on the weekends to see new places. We don't have that liberty anymore. We will barely make our bills. Some months we won't. The realization of not being able to explore this area was hard to swallow. I guess that's why I haven't taken any pictures.... I can't afford to leave the house. I feel like my inspiration to take photo's has died. That makes me sad.

On Christmas day we opened a card sent to us by our landlords in Iowa. I was SO excited to see that in my mailbox. Inside was a letter explaining how much they missed us. Also inside, was a check for $500 with a note saying "thank you". I dropped to the floor and sobbed. These people continue to prove to me that good people exist in the world. We are using the money as our 'entertainment' fund which is what they wanted us to do. Once a month we will either be able to see a movie, or take a drive to explore, or something. It was the best gift ever, and I am AMAZED at their generosity that continues even though it doesn't need to. We were (and still are) truly blessed to have them in our lives.

I miss them so much....

No comments:

Post a Comment