Monday, January 30, 2012

Shake, Rattle, and Roll...

As if my nerves are not frazzled enough, we are dealing with earthquakes. There have been over 80 aftershocks from the main quake they had here in August. They are still re-building from that one. Most of the time they are small, under 2.0 and you hear them but not really feel them. We get them every couple days, sometimes a couple times a day.

Tonight as we were sitting down to dinner one hit that was 3.2. It was the first one Shaun has been home for. It was the biggest since we've been here and though 3.2 is not really that large in the big scheme of things, it was still not fun. The bigger the quake, the louder the noise. It's the noise that bothers me the most. It shook, but not that bad. The sound however was scary. It was like the loudest thunder, almost like an explosion that dragged on. Like the earth was growling at me. My dogs were terrified. I grabbed them and headed under the door frame. Kids playing outside screamed and ran for cover.

If a simple 3.2 was that loud, I can't even begin to imagine what my brother went through in Japan. I would have died of a heart attack! I'm hoping they will not get any bigger!

No comments:

Post a Comment