
Gettysburg. Awesome place. Shaun has always wanted to visit here since he's HUGE history buff so I decided to plan this into the trip for him. He thoroughly enjoyed himself. I am a history fan, but I enjoy Native American history more... this stuff just goes over my head. Anyhow, with the sleep disorder I have, I am NOT a morning person. So, I stayed at the hotel and slept peacefully while he tackled the all too massive museum. He spent almost 5 hours there and didn't even get half through it. Then, we decided to take the auto tour which took us another 6 hours. That part I liked because you saw where it took place, stood on the ground with cannons that were placed in their original spots, saw tree's that still had bullet holes in them, etc... It was cool to see it but at the same time I was feeling sick the whole time. I often see things differently than others do. I had a hard time walking on the fields because I envisioned soldiers lying at my feet. I know that sounds morbid, but it's how it works for me. I didn't know much about the Civil War but one area we got to had what seemed to be a peaceful creek running though a field. I didn't like that creek. I saw it running red. A little farther down the road, there was a sign explaining that the creek was known as "bloody run" because it was so full of soldiers blood it was red. Yep. There were still people who lived in the park, in homes that stood through the war. I can't imagine living there... I wouldn't be able to I don't think. Most of my photo's are of the monuments for Shaun. Plus, it rained all day so my pictures suck... but here are a few.
This barn fascinated me. Two brothers, who happened to fighting on opposite sides, found each other during the war in this barn. Can you imagine that? Sadly, one brother was killed when he went to leave the barn.

This barn still has a cannonball hole in it...

The 'Wheatfield' is where some of the heaviest fighting of the Civil War took place. I could NOT get out of the car and walk here. It bothered me too much. This field was ripe with golden grain but by the end of July 2, 1863 it was trampled, and soaked with blood where American killed American.

The soldiers cemetery. Sad place.
No comments:
Post a Comment