Overlooking the Roanoke valley...
Thursday, November 19, 2009
Vacation Day 5...
Finally... my part of the trip. I LOVE scenic drives though mountains and forests which is why I chose to drive the Blue Ridge Parkway. We started in Virgina just outside Roanoke and made our way down to N. Carolina.
Overlooking the Roanoke valley...
A cute little cabin along the parkway... I was ready to move in. :)
Mabry Mill. I LOVED this place. This mill is still running producing cornmeal, grits, wheat flour, etc... They sell it there in their gift store/restaurant. I brought home a bunch of jam and have practically devoured the jar of black cherry preserves. Yum Yum! I'd gladly drive back to Virginia to get more!
Probably the most fun part of this day was stopping at a little gas station/deli that was in the middle of nowhere. The first thing that caught my eye was a dog that was wearing "dog tags". Not doggie ID but literally dog tags from war. We were starving and there's really no places to eat along the drive. We ordered a club sandwich and a grilled cheese. Two things that shouldn't take that long to make or eat but we ended up staying there a good hour. We sat on old bar stools and chatted with the cook (owner) and waitress. The man who owned the place had a heart attack a few months back while living in Florida. He decided to pack up and move to the mountains where he could relax. He decided to try opening this little deli. It was his dog that was outside and it was wearing his dog tags from Vietnam. People in the south are SO nice and giving. They are so inviting. That was the most relaxing day so far to me. We took our time, met great folk, played with a cute dog, and ate the BEST grilled cheese sandwich I've ever had.
Overlooking the Roanoke valley...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment