We left the parkway today to travel to Cherokee, N. Carolina but before we did we saw this truck off the road with these two characters in the back...

They were so darn cute I couldn't resist a picture. We knew they were hunting something since there were several men with trucks with the same dogs in the back. Shaun asked one man, "What are you hunting?" The man replied, "bar". That's literally how he pronounced 'bear'. I love the southern accent... cracks me up! We could hear hounds yelping in the distance as they had come upon a bear and were driving it out. I was secretly thinking, "run bear, run".
When we got to Cherokee, I got to spend time in my type of museum. I went to the Cherokee history museum at the base of the Smoky Mountains. It's on reservation land and I love to visit the reservation. This particular museum has always been one I wanted to see because I have Cherokee in my family. I also went to a couple gallery's and dropped a small fortune on a piece of art to add to my collection. I ONLY buy off reservations directly from Native artists. None of these white people selling crap pretending to be authentic. That drives me insane.
Then, we made our way through the Smoky Mountain National Park to head towards our cabin that we would be staying in for a couple nights. The drive was going well until we hit this traffic jam. This was our view for about 1.5 hours. We moved about 1 mile in that amount of time.

At first we were mad, thinking it was road construction (which there were signs for). People started getting antsy and would get out of their cars to walk ahead to see what was going on. Whenever we would get into a tunnel eveyone would honk their horns. It was like everyone was creating things to make the annoyance go away. When we finally got to the reason 'why' we sat in traffic for so long, it was well worth it! There was a bear and her cub climbing tree's just right off the side of the road. We lucked out to be able to pull over as another car left, and I got some pictures. I couldn't get the little cub because it was moving up and down so fast and hiding a bit behind the tree. The mama bear was making me so nervous because the tree she was on was actually up on a small cliff and the branch was hanging over the road.


I was glad these bears were on National Park land so those hunters couldn't get them!
No comments:
Post a Comment